[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Re: Is it possible to update a process def without versionin

jliptak do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri May 11 16:23:05 EDT 2007

"jliptak" wrote : I personally think it's probably a mistake to try and do too much auto-conversion.  I think time would be better spent on an export-import feature.

  | You could then:
  | a.) export the running instance to say XML (which removes the instance from the database).
  | b.) edit (if necessary) the exported data to match the new process
  | c.) import the running instance against a different process version.
  |
  | This has some advantages:
  | 1.) it would allow batch processing of the upgrade
  | 2.) strange migration rules could be implemented in something like XSLT
  | 3.) you could choose which instances to migrate.
  |
  | As long as you don't have any jBPM -> business table foreign keys it should work just fine.

+1 on this solution.

Plus, changing (a) to have the option to not delete the instance in the export is a great option.  It allows between test and development, different databases etc.

Also, I would vote on extending the current jbpl definition to define a collection of instances.  Full export ability :-)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4045131#4045131

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4045131