[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: JBoss Portal Security - You're losing your way...

bsmithjj do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon May 14 09:58:51 EDT 2007

"bsmithjj" wrote : As I look into this more, look at the source code for 2.6, the wiki link you supplied, etc.  I really am beginning to think that in some ways, you're losing your way with the security layer of JBoss Portal...

I've noticed in the so-called 'candidate releases (CR),' 1 and 2, that the dashboard link doesn't work.  This kind of a release practice seems to be typical for the JBoss portal;  I mean the practice of releasing alpha-quality software as a CR release.  I've assumed that when JBoss labels a technology as CR release, it is suggesting that the technology is basically working and a.) you believe only minor bugs remain in the product, and b.) you'ld like the early adopters to help find bugs by trying to use the product in development.  Furthermore, since CR is typically the label JBoss applies to a technology prior to releasing it as stable (GA),  all the features that comprise the release of the technology really should be completely working as designed (modulo minor bugs).

However, since the dashboard just doesn't work in two CR releases, I have to conclude the dashboard is just not done and thus is really an alpha level feature.  Also, I see a barage of new stuff appearing, like the usage of jBPM (which seriously slows down a clean portal install and startup times after installation).  Google gadget integration (who really needs that?)? etc...

I wouldn't care so much about this, however, we are in the process of migrating a relatively large portal application from BEA Weblogic Portal 8 to JBoss portal and the flakiness of the JBoss releases causes a fair amount of consternation.  Also, I must admit that I am bit spoiled by the high quality of coding and documentation of the Seam framework - switching from Seam to JBoss portal to do any work is horrible.

Thanks,
Brad Smith

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4045467#4045467

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4045467