[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - My Brain < Seam Conversations

chubby do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed May 16 15:10:17 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm really trying to get my arms around how the Seam conversations work and as soon as I think I understand it, I get some behavior that doesn't match my assumptions.

Currently, I am struggling with the following:

- I have a page we call a "Manager Overview".  This page pulls in data from various tables into little summary "portlets" (fancy divs).  One of these is a list of up-coming "Reminders".

- The backing bean is a Stateful Session Bean, conversation scoped.  It has an @Create method with an @Begin annotation to start a long running conversation.  We do this to cache the data presented on the page while its being used.

- The user can click the "Add" button to add a new reminder.  This link calles a ReminderBean.add action method.  This method is annotated with @Begin(nested=true).

- The page for adding a reminder is displayed and has Cancel and Save buttons that call ReminderBean.cancel and ReminderBean.save respectively.  Both of these methods are annotated with @End

- The save method, before returning a String, does this: events.raiseTransactionSuccessEvent("REMINDER_UPDATED");

- Back in the ManagerBean, we have the @Factory method for the Reminders also annotated with @Observer for the above event.

- The cancel method, also annotated with @End just returns a string to redirect back to the calling page, in this case the manager overview.

So, here's what I see:
1.  Browse to overview (manager.seam?cid=9)
2.  Click add to add a new reminder (editreminder.seam?cid=10&clr=true)
3.  Fill in data and click save (manager.seam?cid=10&parentConversationId=9)
4.  Newly added row appears in list and my log file indicates the observer method was called.
5.  Now I click add again (editreminder.seam?cid=11&clr=true)
6.  This time I click Cancel (manager.seam?cid=11&parentConversationId=9)
7.  Row that was added is now gone.

I suspect its something to do with transactions and/or hibernate caching or perhaps just my poor usage of conversations.
Is this even the right usage for conversations? i.e. using it to cache data and updating that data using @Observer from nested conversations?
Any help/insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4046260#4046260

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4046260