[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - Re: JbossCache replication and ip multicast

mckeno do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue May 22 04:40:01 EDT 2007

Thank you very much for your information.
anonymous wrote : You should set your initial_hosts (in TCPPING) to the _other_ hosts in your cluster, not to point to yourself.
So there should always be a host which joins the cluster at first? (we have to make sure that this host always joins the cluster at the first time?)

Anyway, why do we need this so called initial_host? what does JbossCache as well as JGroups need it for? Wasn't it suppose that every host is "equal" in a replication group (or cluster) ?

For multicasting, i see that it uses the class D address range which is from 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255. But as I am not so familiar with the network configuration and concept, I am wondering how could a host outside of the LAN "sees" the multicast address of a certain group inside a LAN.
In the JGroups document it saids :anonymous wrote :
  | As a rule of thumb UDP is used as transport for LANs, whereas TCP is used for WANs.
So that is why I want to change my initial UDP config to TCP config (am I on the right track, anyway?)
Again, thanks for your reply

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4047464#4047464

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4047464