[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - Re: JbossCache replication and ip multicast

manik.surtani@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue May 22 08:37:56 EDT 2007

anonymous wrote :

  | So there should always be a host which joins the cluster at first? (we have to make sure that this host always joins the cluster at the first time?)
  |
  | Anyway, why do we need this so called initial_host? what does JbossCache as well as JGroups need it for? Wasn't it suppose that every host is "equal" in a replication group (or cluster) ?

SInce you don't use UDP/MCAST, there is no way for the peers to discover each other.  So JGroups is forced to use TCPPING for discovery, which needs to know where to look, so to speak.

anonymous wrote :
  |  I am wondering how could a host outside of the LAN "sees" the multicast address of a certain group inside a LAN.

A host outside the LAN will not see a cluster within a LAN if you're using UDP/MCAST.  If you want to be able to do this, use TCP - which you are doing.  If you need to tunnel through firewalls, read up on the JGroups GossipRouter.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4047556#4047556

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4047556