[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - 2PC question

nanreh do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri May 25 16:26:37 EDT 2007

Hi there,

The JBoss Cache 2.0.0 FAQ says:

anonymous wrote :
  | 2.2.1 Does JBoss Cache support XA (2PC) transactions now?
  |
  | No, although it is also on our to do list. Our internal implementation does use a procedure similar to 2PC to coordinate a transaction among different instances, but JBoss Cache is not an XA resource.

I'd like to the best possible guarantee that all the caches in my cluster are in sync all the time.  I was hoping to accomplish this with a 2PC and I'm wondering if the above FAQ point means there's a limit to what I can actually accomplish when it comes to distributed 2PC transactions.

I'd like to be able to initiate updates with any member of the cluster and have them move forward (or not) together.  I'm using JBoss Transactions in a standalone Java SE environment and at this point I have the caches working in a cluster with synchronous replication.  I can run a local transaction on any node and replication happens as expected to the other nodes when that local transaction commits.

I'm having problems when I use the distributed flavor of the JBoss transaction manager and after a few days of debugging I'm beginning to think that my use of the distributed transaction manager is inappropriate given the FAQ note above.

So I'm wondering: should just run a local transaction with REPL_SYNC and let JBoss Cache's "internal procedure similar to 2PC" handle errors that may occur during replication or should I continue looking for an error in my distributed transaction manager configuration?

Any information would be a huge help.

thanks...
frank

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4048780#4048780