[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Writing SeamTests with Seam 2.0.0. CR2 - What's Changed?

pete.muir@jboss.org do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Nov 5 09:09:52 EST 2007

"bsmithjj" wrote : WEB-INF/components.xml?  no - I'm trying to boot the embedded jboss ONLY from an ejb module that's part of a larger ear project.

Well the error you posted is because your jndiPattern isn't getting set I think. Normally you set this in components.xml/components.properties

anonymous wrote : IN ADDITION TO whatever new form of the JBoss container you want people to be able to boot and test with.

I understand your frustration, and I'm not trying to shift the blame, but perhaps it helps to know the whole story. Originally the EJB3 team produced an Embedded EJB3 container which Seam then used for testing/tomcat. The EJB3 team then stopped work on this, and started up Embedded JBoss; we then decided to change over Seam's support to the Embedded JBoss project as the last Embedded EJB3 release was using very old (and often early beta) versions of hibernate, EJB3, microcontainer etc. This is all further compounded by the fact that Embedded JBoss needs a maintainer.  Please, take your frustrations over to the Embedded JBoss forum as well as that is the place to rant to get the right people's attention.

anonymous wrote : On the subject of maven and transitive dependencies, please do not deploy the Seam 2.0 releases to your public repository with poms that contain transitive dependencies - that's already tripped me up once because Seam 2.0.0.CR3 transitively stuck el-api.jar into my war and that already existed in the server.  Transitive dependencies buy you nothing when they cause unexpected problems that take longer to fix (due to the surprise nature) than simply adding the dependencies you know you need due to good documentation.

A large part of the point of moving to Maven was to gain transitive dependency management.  Some projects have very poor transitive dependencies (hopefully we can get Seam to the point where this isn't true for Seam!) but I think in general they are a good thing.  Please report issues in JIRA for problems you see with Seam's dependencies so we can fix them. For example, your el-api.jar problem is clearly a bug, but I see no bug report from you for it.

anonymous wrote : Knowing version dependencies (to me) is a good thing.  Hiding versions and/or dependencies is bad.

Of course, and we are a huge step forward from Seam 1 here (where about half our dependencies were hidden in -all.jar files, for which to reconstruct version information for the component parts you had to look at the tag in CVS and inspect buildmagic scripts).  Its a simple job to make Maven print out a nice dependency tree with version information in it to an XML file, someone just needs to do it (I will do it for 2.0.1). You can already print this information to the console if you use a snapshot version of the dependency plugin.

anonymous wrote : BTW, Pete, I appreciate your discussions / interactions and patience with me ;-).  In all my rants on the forum here, my frustrations tend to stem from no smooth transition being available for Seam 1.2.1 -> Seam 2.0.0 (on the issues I've posted about).  I believe Seam could be a little kinder to its early adopters than it has been.  Instead, I have several areas now where I need to 'start from scratch' (e.g. <core:ejb/> gone but actually worked fine ... hence this particular thread).

I think we've addressed this in other places, and we understand your, and others, frustrations.  This is why we bumped the version number to 2.0 rather than 1.3.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4101782#4101782

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4101782