[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - IPC - unable to get example to work

JohnnyTheHun do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 21 19:03:29 EST 2007

1. System
Os:
Win2000 (or XP)
JAVA_HOME points to JDK 1.5

2. JBOSS:
downloaded and unzipped:
jboss-portal-2.6.2.GA-bundled.zip

3. The IPC example is from:
http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/portletswap/portlets/2_4/bundles/HelloWorldIPC.zip

4. running jboss with run.bat - 0.0.0.0

5. deployed (unmodified) helloworldipcportlet.sar into an unmodified server/default/deploy dir under JBOSS_HOME

6. The IPC tab appeared on my default portal

8. The HelloWorldPortletA on the IPC page was empty

9. Looking into the server log I saw that HelloWorldPortletA doView() throws a NullPointer

10. After modifing the HelloWorldPortletA.java code to write everthing it does immediately:

  | protected void doView(JBossRenderRequest req, JBossRenderResponse resp) throws IOException, PortletException
  |    {
  |       try
  |       {
  |          resp.setContentType("text/html");
  |          StringBuffer html = new StringBuffer();
  |          resp.getWriter().write("strinbuff created");
  |          // link to a page
  |          html.append("<-- Page Linking --><br/>");
  |          PortalNode thisNode = req.getPortalNode().getParent(); // will return this Page as a node.
  |          resp.getWriter().write("parent got: "+thisNode);
  |          PortalNode linkToNode = thisNode.resolve("../default");
  |          resp.getWriter().write("linktonode resolved: "+linkToNode);

I observed that linkToNode is null.

What can I do to make the example work?

(I need IPC, is there any other way?)

Thank you,