[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Localizing Tab that has spaces in its name

thomas.heute@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Nov 22 02:19:50 EST 2007

"syllant" wrote : anonymous wrote :
  |   | The issue is that resource bundles (as file) cannot be changed at runtime, so when you add a page you cannot change it.
  |   |
  | ? But this is the same for -object.xml descriptor, both provide default values ?!

-object.xml is just there to populate the database. It's very convenient in that sense. But then you can also change your portal objects using the admin portlet.

"syllant" wrote :
  | anonymous wrote :
  |   | I was also thinking of resource bundles as default values that could be overridden with whatever is in database. Would that fit your use case ?
  | This is what I would expect :-)

The reason why i didn't do it is that it can be very confusing. This would update the database, if you redeploy the app with new localized display-name they wouldn't be taken in account unless you use <if-exists>overwrite</if-exists> which is already an issue today for other topics.

"syllant" wrote :
  | Where would you put bundles ? Could we use hierarchical page keys (e.g. : default.page1.subpage1) ?

The initial idea was to define the resource bundle in the -object.xml descriptor but it means that it would be stored in database (the location of the resource bundle) which sucks.

"syllant" wrote :
  | anonymous wrote :
  |   | portlet.xml is different... It's a deployment feature, not a way to populate data (opposite from -object.xml) so please there is no need for exclamation marks.
  |   |
  | There was a hidden smile under the exclamation mark, that was not supposed to be rude :-)

I didn't see the hidden smile, i'm glad if we can have constructive discussion. So far i'm satisified with no solution with the current -object.xm descriptors

"syllant" wrote :
  | Even though I think both are descriptors which should not store localization. But this is just my humble opinion...

Again the descriptors serves totally different goals. JSR-168 spec lets you define localized string either directly in the portlet.xml or in a resource bundle, this is cool. But we cannot do it for a descriptor which is used to populate data that can be modified at runtime and must be persistent.

If you have a solution that perfectly fits the use cases i mentioned, i would be glad to hear it.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4106974#4106974

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4106974