[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Seam 2.0.0.CR2: lib jars have lost their versions

bsmithjj do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Oct 6 08:44:32 EDT 2007

"tynor" wrote : anonymous wrote : I think /build/root.pom.xml ought to be enough for figuring out versions, so I don't think a VERSIONS.txt file is necessary.

  | Perhaps so.  My experience on a previous project that used Maven's ant dependency management plugin (as seam-gen apparently does now), is that the explicit dependencies in the pom.xml only tell you so much -- the transitive dependencies that bring in jars indirectly can be difficult to predict.  Fortunately, when using maven dependencies directly, the resulting jars have versioned names (:)), so one could always tell what version it ended up choosing.
  |
  | I don't want this to turn into a religous argument - i just want an "easy" way to tell what version of any given jar Seam has decided to bundle for me -- so when I add a new jar that also depends on, say, commons-digester.jar, I can quickly tell if it is compatible with the one I've already got.

We're a maven2 - seam shop - we use archetypes to start all our Seam projects.   Who knows? now that maven2 is getting uptake on this project, maybe someday seam-gen functionality will be available as an archetype...  Anyway, since I spend a fair amount of time making sure our internal repository  has the right versions of jars and that our archetype poms are correct, I would like to second the request to have the version numbers left on the jar names.  It just makes dependency mgmt / troubleshooting much easier (BTW - not all the jar versions are appended to the lib jars in the previous release(s) - is there any chance that things like JBoss jars could have the server-version number they represent appended? things like servlet-api, and jsf-api have the spec numbers appended? as well....).

One other thing- I can indeed review the pom.xml for version numbers, however, flipping between the pom and the file system to make the association is tedious and error prone - especially with many dependencies.

Thanks,
Brad Smith

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4092263#4092263

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4092263