[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Additional filter outside Seam-filter messes up encoding

Toby451 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Oct 8 08:30:05 EDT 2007

I added a very innocent looking request timing filter outside the Seam Filter  like this:

  |     <filter>
  |         <filter-name>Timing Filter</filter-name>
  |         <filter-class>foo.bar.TimingFilter</filter-class>
  |     </filter>
  |
  |     <filter>
  |         <filter-name>Seam Filter</filter-name>
  |         <filter-class>org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamFilter</filter-class>
  |     </filter>
  |
  |     <filter-mapping>
  |         <filter-name>Timing Filter</filter-name>
  |         <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
  |     </filter-mapping>
  |
  |     <filter-mapping>
  |         <filter-name>Seam Filter</filter-name>
  |         <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
  |     </filter-mapping>

All of a sudden the UTF-8 encoding on our pages is broken. Scandinavian characters looking like "ö" instead of "ö" for instance (double encoded?).

This is strange since the filter I am using does nothing with the actual content, it merely times the call like this:

  |         long t0 = System.nanoTime();
  |         chain.doFilter(req, res);
  |         long dt = System.nanoTime() - t0;

What is going on here?