[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools (users)] - Re: Ambiguous error with web.xml adding JSF

GeoffHart do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Oct 8 21:32:27 EDT 2007

Hi,

I can half-agree with you on that. When I look more closely, I see that Sun put the 2.2 and 2.3 versions of that DTD in totally different paths. As a result, the 2.2 version was pointing at nothing while the 2.3 version pointed at a real DTD file. The 2.2 version should have been pointing to this URL:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
  |     PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN"
  |     "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">

Nonetheless, when I specified the wrong DTD URL, "Web descriptor file is corrupted : Element type "web-app" must be declared.:6:10." is not a terribly descriptive error if it is trying to say the DTD can't be found.

Just for fun, I fixed that reference to the 2.2 DTD to point at the correct URL as noted above. When I test that file in Dreamweaver, it reports the XML is valid. When I right-click and validate it in RHDS, it also reports it is valid, and when I run the JSF tool, it still reports the same error.

... which all leads me to wonder what the JSF parser is actually looking for?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4092817#4092817

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4092817