[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - NullPointerException in org.jboss.seam.webservice.SOAPReques

sg26565 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Oct 9 17:14:21 EDT 2007

I tried to write a conversational webservice with seam 2.0.0.CR2

My first problem was that the documented way of putting a standard-jaxws-endpoint-config.xml file into META-INF didn't work at all. Instead I added a handler-chain to sun-jaxws.xml.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  | <endpoints xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/jax-ws/ri/runtime"	version="2.0">
  |   <endpoint name="Hello" implementation="hello.Hello"	url-pattern="/ws/hello">
  |     <handler-chains xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee">
  |       <handler-chain>
  |         <protocol-bindings>##SOAP11_HTTP</protocol-bindings>
  |         <handler>
  |           <handler-name>SOAP Request Handler</handler-name>
  |           <handler-class>org.jboss.seam.webservice.SOAPRequestHandler</handler-class>
  |         </handler>
  |       </handler-chain>
  |     </handler-chains>
  |   </endpoint>
  | </endpoints>

This way the SOAPRequestHandler was callled, but it threw a NullPointerException:
ava.lang.NullPointerException
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.webservice.SOAPRequestHandler.handleOutbound(SOAPRequestHandler.java:107)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.webservice.SOAPRequestHandler.handleMessage(SOAPRequestHandler.java:56)
  | 	at

The Exception was caused by the following statement in org.jboss.seam.webservice.SOAPRequestHandler line 107 where getSOAPHeader() returns null:
SOAPMessageContext smc = (SOAPMessageContext) messageContext;
  | SOAPElement element = smc.getMessage().getSOAPHeader().addChildElement(CIDQN);

If I change the code to:
SOAPMessageContext smc = (SOAPMessageContext) messageContext;
  | SOAPMessage msg = smc.getMessage();
  | SOAPPart part = msg.getSOAPPart();
  | SOAPEnvelope env = part.getEnvelope();
  | SOAPHeader header = env.getHeader();
  | if (header == null) {
  |     header = env.addHeader();
  |  }
  |  SOAPElement element = header.addChildElement(CIDQN);
then the webservice works as expected.

So my question is: Is this a bug in seam, or is something wrong with my setup?

btw.: I'm running seam 2.0.0.CR2 with jax-ws 2.1.1 and jdk1.5.0_13 on tomcat 6.0.14

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4093215#4093215

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4093215