[jboss-user] [Remoting] - Re: Mobile phone/J2ME <-> JBoss - anyone with starting point

ron.sigal@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Oct 10 17:35:55 EDT 2007

I can tell you that at one point Tom Elrod started an attempt to make Remoting usable in a micro environment, when someone in the community raised a similar issue.  Unfortunately, I think the guy that asked for the feature sort of disappeared, and the idea didn't take off.  The goal was to create a slimmed down client which used a subset of the usual JVM facilities - e.g., no use of timeouts.  For example, the socket transport has a MicroSocketClientInvoker which doesn't use timeouts, and the subclass SocketClientInvoker which does use timeouts.

To tell you the truth, I don't know much about J2ME, and I don't know how much more work it would take to adapt, say, the socket transport to work in a J2ME environment.  However, it's easy enough to add a new transport to Remoting - you just need factories for creating client and server invokers.  Also, you can start with a small core remoting jar that omits the out-of-the-box transports.

 The Remoting Guide (http://labs.jboss.com/jbossremoting/docs/guide/index.html) is a good place to start, if you're not already experienced with JBoss Remoting.  If you're interested in looking into it further, maybe I can help you along.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4093737#4093737

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4093737