[jboss-user] [Persistence, JBoss/CMP, Hibernate, Database] - Hibernate proxy class problem

georgesberscheid do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Oct 11 16:51:54 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm having the following odd situation:

  | @Entity
  | @Inheritance(strategy = InheritanceType.JOINED)
  | public abstract class Customer { @Id private int id; }
  |
  | @Entity
  | public class SomeCustomer extends Customer { private String name; }

I'm using Entity Manager to retrieve entities by their primary key:

  | entityManager.find(Customer.class, 5);

The primary key 5 belongs to a SomeCustomer entity. It's in the id field of both Customer and SomeCustomer tables (due to join inheritance). However, the query returns an object that has the type Customer_$$_javassist_16 that cannot be cast to SomeCustomer (ClassCastException).
However, if I execute the following query:

  | entityManager.find(SomeCustomer.class, 5);

I will see a warning in my logfile: ProxyWarnLog: Narrowing proxy to class SomeCustomer - this operation breaks ==
Subsequent call to the first find() query will now also return the right object of the right type.

Does anybody know what's going on here or how I can manually narrow down my proxy object to what I want to have if it fails?

Thanks a lot,
Georges

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4094261#4094261

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4094261