[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: custom portal file name

vinguye2 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Oct 12 14:17:58 EDT 2007

Thanks Peter,
Yep, that would have been easy to do:)  But, I wanted to know if there was a documented way to do this kind of configuration in some properties file somewhere instead of modifying the actual build scripts.

The reason I ask is because I'd like to use JBoss Portal to build and customize a portal product for customers.  So I can take two approaches, each with its pros/cons:

1) The binary build comes with a lot of stuff I don't need.  So I'd have to unpack the build, strip out unnecessary things as well as do a search-replace in several files to customize the product (i.e. to change the context name, output sar name, add/modify themes, etc), and then repack the build.

2) I can build from source, but that also requires modifying various files to fit my customization needs.  I don't mind changing property files, but I'd prefer not touching the original JBoss build scripts which most likely can change between releases.

So ideally, I'd like to build some automation tools that can just take the binary/source download and customize the simple things as needed for various customers.  But the current Portal downloads don't quite make this easy to do since there isn't a centralized set of files that would make at least the simple customizations easier.

Also, there isn't a clear separation between the core necessary components of JBoss Portal, and what is extra (i.e. administration component).  It would be good if there were separate downloads for the core and the "bundled" portal package.

I understand though that JBoss Portal is currently work in progress:)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4094728#4094728

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4094728