[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - JVM memory foot print on Fedora

alias do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Oct 14 20:41:56 EDT 2007

I am running JBoss 4.0.2 with JVM 1.5.0.12, with maximum heap and PermGen memory size set to be 1GB and 256MB, respectively.

I deployed JBoss with our application on Fedora 5 (FC5) with 2GB of memory and the memory footprint is as follows:

Memory: 634m
Virtual Memory: 1712m

I then deployed the exact same code and configuration on a similarly configured Windows XP machine, with 2GB of memory as well and Windows version of JVM 1.5.0.12 and memory footprint is as follows:

Memory: 331m
Virtual Memory: 322m

I obtained these numbers right after JBoss start-up while the system is idling doing nothing.

Can someone shed some lights on why such a great memory utilization discrepancy on the two platforms?  And what do I need to do to tune JBoss/JVM and/or Fedora to bring the memory utilization to a more management level?  I tried to Google for some answers but didn't find anything related.

Thanks!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4095056#4095056

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4095056