[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: custom portal file name

vinguye2 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Oct 15 03:50:05 EDT 2007

Thanks Chris,
Yep, I will take a careful look at the licensing agreements to make sure I don't do anything illegal:)

Now that you mention licensing, I should ask: what's the intended audience for the binary and source downloads?

Both downloads will require a developer to modify the contents (i.e descriptor files, jboss-web.xml to change the context name, etc) if they want configuration to be done during development instead of at production/runtime via the admin portlet.   I would think the original jboss-portal.sar download is rarely used without modifications to it.

Also, there are some features that come with JBoss Portal that are active by default (i.e. News and Weather pages).  Even the minimal deploy target adds in these non-core pages.  I need to remove/deactivate features which customers don't need.  I also need to make sure these features won't be available in customer deployments if they have the CMS portlet enabled, since customers shouldn't need to see content that aren't used in the final product.

I think it would be good to have two different binary downloads: a core version with just the minimal components, and a bundled version with all the extra features like the current download.

I'm sure there must be developers out there who are interested in what it takes to get JBoss Portal down to just the core so that we can actually make a commercial product with it, not just use it.

As for the jboss-portal.sar file name, I think its important that developers be able to customize the name.  Otherwise, a customer won't be able to deploy two JBoss Portal based products on the same server, if the file names are the same.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4095108#4095108

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4095108