[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - conversations, propagations etc ... - need explanation

amashtakov do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Oct 17 03:50:18 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've started to experiment a bit with seam conversations in order
to develop some sort of global strategy and patterns, which I'm going to
use in my application.

I developed a simple app with 2 pages:

page1.xhtml

  | <s:link value="start" action="#{conversation.begin}"/>

page2.xhtml simply displays #{conversationList} in h:dataTable
and includes

  | <s:link value="start again" propagation="begin"/>

I performed several tests and noticed the following:

1. With no code modifications:
     Step 1: clicking on "start" on page1.xhtml starts new conversation
     Step 2: clicking on "start again" on page2.xhml creates new
                 conversation too.

    Actually, I expected "java.lang.IllegalStateException: begin() called from
    long-running conversation, try join=true" on step 2, according with
    the documentation.

2. Changes in page2.xhtml:

  | <s:link value="start again" propagation="join"/>

     Step 1: clicking on "start" on page1.xhtml starts new conversation
     Step 2: clicking on "start again" on page2.xhml joins current
                 conversation

Can anyone explain why this happens ? From my point of view
step#2 in test#1 has to generate exception.

I'll appreciate a good explanation of seam algorithm/steps, which is/are
used in order to determine whether the long running conversation is
active or not.

Thank you in advance,
/Alexander

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4095905#4095905