[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - Re: Creating a secure development environment

MMirabito do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Oct 18 06:59:40 EDT 2007

Thanks for you continued feedback.

I agree with you all that if you are running on localhost there should not be problems. But I am beginning to think security teams operate under the concept of "conspiracy theory" and all development teams are and an due risk to the network.

We already have a second desktop but both are connected to the same network. One for email and office apps with no privileges and the second one is for development with full admin privileges.

We where told that separating the network is not possible at this time ? this is a long term plan. Of course I can?t argue this since I am not an infrastructure guy.

The dual-nic came up briefly but always in the context of doing RDP to VMware server session. The way I see it if this stands we would turn our workstations (dual core 3GB RAM  and 500GB+ HDD) into dumb-terminals ? how smart is that?

I like the idea of working disconnected (which BTW I do when I am not in the office) but then it becomes a challenge to manage lots of developers that require enterprise services (ie DBMS, LDAP, Reporting server, source control etc)

We could duplicate them on the disconnected workstation but how practical is that beyond a DBMS?  In addition if we need to do research on the internet we now would have to use as second PC and manually transfer files.

I am also  curious to know what JBoss would recommend assuming you guys are not working for Red Hat already?

Thanks again for your thoughts

Max

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4096463#4096463

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4096463