[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Feedback wanted. Would you choose JB Portal again?

chris.laprun@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Oct 27 14:30:28 EDT 2007

"wheezer" wrote :
  | I suppose though, in my head, I am thinking about why it is that so many open source modules get built in the non-java, non-jsr168 communities. Naturally, the universe of developers is much smaller here, and their professional demands greater, but still, it seems there should be more interest.  I mean hell, it's not just open source portlets I am interested in. I'd happily pay reasonable prices for useful portlets. I just don't see any around--at all. SyncEx advertises all over the place, and I can't get a demo out of them.  I'm not expecting much, when I do.

Maybe it's because JEE developers spend their time in business integration of complex enterprise services and it doesn't make much sense to provide the portlets that were developed in that context to a larger audience? Maybe it's because non-jsr168 portlets are usually not much more than a bunch of javascript/html bundled together and which doesn't connect to enterprise services, hence can be developed fairly quickly? I don't really know. I'm not a portlet developer. :)

"wheezer" wrote : If Jboss had a vibrant marketplace for portlets, I can't imagine independent coders and developers not seeing a relatively easy path to some real revenue without all that much work.  I wouldn't even care how generic they were. I'd bet there's a large market of enterprises and vendors who wouldn't either.  Sure, generic configurations are nice, but ANYTHING pre-built can be a huge jump-start over building from scratch.

Don't get me wrong. We would love to have a vibrant marketplace for portlets. My guess as to why it's not there yet is that most portal deployments occur in an enterprise context, with custom developed portlets that cannot be reused outside of the context they were developed for.

What kind of portlets would you like to see?

"wheezer" wrote : Incidentally, we do plan on probably running the Liferay portlets in Jboss.  Still just getting our bearings.

  | Thanks again for all the feedback. This has been very helpful. (Hope others feel free to toss in some cents :)

Glad I could help! Once again, though, this is my personal opinion so don't construe it as JBoss' stance on open source portlets! ^_^

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4099616#4099616

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4099616