[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Last try - Conversational Feature let me feel like an id

maku01 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 5 03:09:22 EDT 2007

"christian.bauer at jboss.com" wrote : ?! It's not different from any of the existing examples. You need to understand how propagation="none" and propagation="join" work, and that's it.

In my opinion, this statement is really an oversimplification.

I tried to understand the conversation mechanisms and I'm aware that the use  of a propagation="none" starts a new conversation.

But when a new conversation was created I've to manage the conversation in context.
E.g. when a menu entry for a special logical area is activated I start a new conversation (with propagation="none" and a "start" Method marked as @Begin)
On the next activations of this menu entry, a conversation is already active I've to know that a conversation is already in progress and handle this scenario appropriately

I tried to handle this by specifying a conversion id (with @Begin(id=...) or I tried to specify this conversion id in pages.xml

E.g.

<conversation name="PartnerMaintConv"
  |                   parameter-name="cid"
  |                   parameter-value="PartnerMaintConv"/>

and

  | <page ... conversation="PartnerMaintConv" >
  | </page>

But this works not as I expected.

When I start a new conversation with every menu click (with propagation="none") and use e.g. the Seam switcher component it seems that this works at the first sight.

So I could imagine that it would be possible to build a logic that change the behaviour of a menu entry when I conversation is already active and do something similiar like the "switcher" component.

Could this be a possible approach??

By and large I've to say that to implement  this requirement for a business administration application is not easy with Seam (maybe it is when you really understand what's going on). But from the point of view of a average Seam user it is not.

When I implement this with components with "Session" state it is simple to do. I don't want to loose the Seam benefits.
But I'm already really frustrated.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4081182#4081182

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4081182