[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Re: Combo Box in Form

kukeltje do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 5 17:41:46 EDT 2007

anonymous wrote : anonymous wrote : Yet, I do not disagree that a nicer solution would be 'handy' and seam provides parts of that for you. what you encounter now is in the grey area of the webconsole. What is it intended for? Production systems? well, the management part should be. Is it intended for end-users? No currently not. So some things are not in there and personally I use the storage of variables only in the RAD/Prototype part of a project. For productionsystems we have a separate domain model and use a separate database for that (with separate ui) so the list of selectitems comes from there and not jBPM. The selected value goes into jBPM.
  | Thanks a lot, I haven't seen that so clear so far. I should reconsider my approach here.

Think e.g. about
- wizards, pageflow not tasks... they do not fit in the webconsole. But are often required in a real production system. Seam has them.
- Starting processes in a scheduled way... seam (quartz) can help out
- ....

Things that are not that high on the requirementslist for a prototype.

(shameless plug ;-))

Ok, now back to the jBPM persistence problem.... yes, you got me convinced.
I'm  curious though what would happen if you changed

System.out.println("first.node-enter: directly after setting variable: instanceof selectitem:"+(test.get(0) instanceof javax.faces.model.SelectItem));

System.out.println("first.node-enter: directly after setting variable: instanceof selectitem:"+(executionContext.getContextInstance().getVariable("selectitems").get(0) instanceof javax.faces.model.SelectItem));

I do not have access to a jBPM engine now, so cannot test this myself. This would maybe even rule out persistence .

you also ruled out a classloading issue, but showed a map works.... STRANGE...

I also wonder is something like this would work or if it would throw a classcastexception...

  |          public List getItems() {
  |                 List elements =  executionContext.getContextInstance().getVariable("selectitems");
  |                 Iterator i = elements.iterator();
  |                 List retVal = new LinkedList();
  |
  |                 while(i.hasNext()) {
  |                         javax.faces.model.SelectItem element = (javax.faces.model.SelectItem) i.next();
  |                         javax.faces.model.SelectItem item = new javax.faces.model.SelectItem(element.getId(),element.getValue());
  |                         retVal.add(item);
  |                 }
  |                 return retVal;

I'll keep thinking/searching/...