[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: General Performance concerns on presentation and busines

jim.barrows do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Sep 6 17:28:33 EDT 2007

"phpguy99" wrote : What is your take on commonly accepted practice to physically separate business and presentation layer for reasons like:
  | - security: presentation layer is the only one that gets exposed to the internet and it take hackers more layer to crack.

But is this really true?  Since your business layer must be exposed to the presentation?  While it is possible to lock thigns down quite tightly, once the front server is compromised, so are any holes you've opened.
However, I think you're missing something about the design of J2EE apps.  J2EE has seperatio of concerns and 3+ layer architecture for quite some time.  The backing beans are supposed to talk to your business logic layer.
"phpguy99" wrote :
  | - scalability: easier to scale either/both presentation and business layer if they are separated.

J2EE can scale in 4 different areas, and with a fairly fine granularity.    I can have a particular EJB on a server dedicated to itself, if necessary, or a whole bunch.  Same with a web app.  Since EJB's carry business logic, I can scale one bit of logic, or lots.  I can scale at the database.  I can scale the connections to everything.
"phpguy99" wrote :
  | - easier division of labor: presentation and business-logic developers only care about their components and they can become more skillful/specialized in their area.

Again J2EE has had division of labor for quite some time.  It's nice to see someone from the PHP world catch up to us :)
You can't forget that Seam is built on jBPM, Drools, and J2EE.  Bringing with it all of J2EE's strengths, while leaving much of it's pain behind.  In order understand those strengths, you probably need to go look at all of Sun's J2EE documentation to understand how things are designed, and why SEAM is truly great.
"phpguy99" wrote :
  | Thanks so much in advance.

Your welcome

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4081868#4081868