[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Render pages based on user roles

saigon_man do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Sep 20 10:11:55 EDT 2007

I found the answer to this, eventhough this just satisfied part of my problem. To render the tabs/pages and/or portlets based on user's roles,

1. In *-object.xml
    1.1 Under the security-constraint tag, list all possible usernames who can access to this portal

  | <security-constraint>
  | 		    	<policy-permission>
  | 		    		<role-name>User</role-name>
  | 		    		<action-name>view</action-name>
  | 		    	</policy-permission>
  | 		    	<policy-permission>
  | 		    		<role-name>Admin</role-name>
  | 		    		<action-name>view</action-name>
  | 		    	</policy-permission>
  | 		    </security-constraint>

   1.2 Then, under each  tag, you should list the name of the users who can view this page

  | <security-constraint>
  | 			    	<policy-permission>
  | 			    		<role-name>Admin</role-name>
  | 			    		<action-name>view</action-name>
  | 			    	</policy-permission>
  | 			    </security-constraint>

The Admin username above can view all of the portlets defined for this page.

2. To restrict which portlets should be seen by this Admin user, in the portal-instances.xml, do the same security as above for each portlet instance

  | <deployment>
  |       <instance>
  |          <instance-id>HelloWorldPortletInstance</instance-id>
  |          <portlet-ref>HelloWorldPortlet</portlet-ref>
  |
  |          <security-constraint>
  | 			<policy-permission>
  |     			<role-name>Admin</role-name>
  |     			<action-name>view</action-name>
  |     		</policy-permission>
  | 		 </security-constraint>
  |       </instance>
  |    </deployment>

With the codes above, the Admin user when he logs in that page, if there are more than one portlet besides the HelloWorldPortlet, he only sees the HelloWorldPortlet.

Hope this will help others who are looking for the same answer

SGM

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4086707#4086707

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4086707