[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Low performance of jboss in windows server 2003

lquenta do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Apr 8 16:11:23 EDT 2008

We are using a web service developed in java hosted in a jboss 4.0.2, that is running on windows 2003 server and is using a MySql 1.1.20 as DBMS.
This application receives an xml string from the client, deserializes it and insert it on a table on the mySql DB, and finally sends it to another server that is outside our network.
The client application sends requests to this webservice and waits for an answer. This client application is a aspx web page, that is, multiple requests can occur at one time from multiple client machines.
Our problem: the more requests JBoss receives from client machines through the web service, the lower the performance gets. But even so, when only one client machine sends many requests (say 25+) the performance get reduce as well. We are seeing mainly three things:
1.Memory usage gets higher and full garbage collections become more usual, reaching a 4000 total CG and 10 Full GC. The process starts by inserting a record per second on MySQL, but ends up doing up to one record every 30-40 seconds.
2.Number of Threads goes up, from an initial 4-5 to pass 50. We assume this is linked to the first issue.
3.A lot of memory swap (all the time the process is running), which reduces disk space until eventually there is “0 bytes” of free space in drive C:
What can we do to improve the performance of JBoss and make it restore the disk space when it finishes processing all the requests?  We are running JBoss on a developing environment, thus our server is virtual and has 512MB of RAM. Could this too have an effect on the performance of JBoss? Are there any known issues in using MySQL with JBoss?
We are manually executing JBoss . The JVM heap configuration is as follows:
-Xms350m -Xmx350m -XX:NewSize=100m -XX:MaxNewSize=100m -XX:SurvivorRatio=30
This configuration has been the best we’ve tried so far.
Any help will be cheerfully received. Thanks a lot.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4142502#4142502

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4142502