[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - JBoss 4.05 don't release free memory - Out of Memory error

bakry do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Apr 16 07:31:44 EDT 2008

Dear All,

I know this is not the first time someone asks about OOME... but I have searched all relevant topics with no results...

My problem is with Jboss 4.0.5, I have one application deployed in this server with very minimal hits on the server. however the server keeps consuming memory by time... the strange thing is that there always free memory not returned to the OS... after 3-5 days the server total memory reaches the max allowed memory, then the server throws the OOME.

following is my memory settings in the run.cfg

JAVA_OPTS="-Xms128m -Xmx1500m -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000"

Following is what the web console is displaying about the server state. you can see there is 981MB free memory not returned to the OS. my understanding is that Jboss start with the minimum memory configured to 128MB and keeps getting more as needed, but when the allocated memory is not used anymore (becomes Free memory), Jboss should return this memory to the OS and the total memory figure should go down to show the actual currently use memory + the buffered memory in Jboss. Please correct me if I am wrong...

JVM Environment
Free Memory: 981 MB
Max Memory: 1333 MB
Total Memory: 1058 MB
#Threads: 78
JVM Version: 1.5.0_07-b03 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
JVM Name: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM

I tried every thing from increasing the heap to memory tuning in my application but itis not working.

Regards,
Bakry

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4144444#4144444

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4144444