[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: JBoss Messaging and Spring Message Listener Container

zackurey do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 20 13:39:48 EDT 2008

Since the topic was about Spring Message Listener containers in general I thought I'd add with one gotcha that I ran into with a customer trying to integrate with JBM.

If you use Spring's DefaultMessageListenerContainer, which I believe polls for new messages, ensure that you set the caching level to CACHE_NONE.  The relevant comment in the Spring code is:

  | * Specify the level of caching that this listener container is allowed to apply.
  | 	 * <p>Default is CACHE_NONE if an external transaction manager has been specified
  | 	 * (to reobtain all resources freshly within the scope of the external transaction),
  | 	 * and CACHE_CONSUMER else (operating with local JMS resources).
  | 	 * <p>Some J2EE servers only register their JMS resources with an ongoing XA
  | 	 * transaction in case of a freshly obtained JMS Connection and Session,
  | 	 * which is why this listener container does by default not cache any of those.
  | 	 * However, if you want to optimize for a specific server, consider switching
  | 	 * this setting to at least CACHE_CONNECTION or CACHE_SESSION even in
  | 	 * conjunction with an external transaction manager.
  | 	 * <p>Currently known servers that absolutely require CACHE_NONE for XA
  | 	 * transaction processing: JBoss 4. For any others, consider raising the
  | 	 * cache level.
  | 	 * @see #CACHE_NONE
  | 	 * @see #CACHE_CONNECTION
  | 	 * @see #CACHE_SESSION
  | 	 * @see #CACHE_CONSUMER
  | 	 * @see #setCacheLevelName
  | 	 * @see #setTransactionManager

The way the issue ended up manifesting itself was that messages, when browsing in the JMX console, would appear stuck in a 'DELIVERING' state, even though the client had consumed them(the Session was just never closed).  Sometimes this appeared to hang the queue entirely for reasons I didn't pursue further.  After setting to CACHE_NONE the issue happily went away.

Note that I saw this behavior with JBoss Message 1.4.0SP3 + Spring 2.5

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4171582#4171582

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4171582