[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Re: Trying to increase performance, doesn't seem to be CPU o

kjkoster do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Aug 24 15:50:16 EDT 2008

Dear Jamicide,

I spent a little time with the book "System Performance Tuning" by Mike Loukides. While is speaks of VAX machines and early Sun boxes, the lessons in that book are universal and I applied them to Windows XP with success. :)

Once you get beyond the reasonably obvious hogs, tuning gets tricky fairly quickly. You go into the lands of memory bandwidth, inter-cpu communication and lock contention.

You need to find out what subsystem is bottlenecking: cpu, memory or I/O in its various forms. Those are things we cannot help you with, since we have no access to your machines.

Interestingly, the list of resources in a machine is rather short; cpu, RAM, network I/O and disk I/O (for each disk). Just check each of these in turn. If all of these are used well below their capacity, you are likely to have synchronisation issues in your Java application.

Kees Jan

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4172197#4172197

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4172197