[jboss-user] Problems with TimerBean and transaction-rollback

frusso at email.it frusso at email.it
Wed Aug 27 18:04:12 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,
I'm working with JBoss 5 CR 1 playing around with a Timer Bean. Here
are some details:
- the Timer's time-out method is marked with a RequiresNew TX-attribute
- the timeout I create is a one-shot timer (it has to be executed
exactly once)

The Timer Bean's timeout code resembles what follows:

@Timeout
@TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRES_NEW)
public void foo(Timer timer) {
   try {
     if(accessDataStore()) {
     } else {
     }
   } catch(DataStoreException e) {
	sessionCtx.setRollbackOnly();
   }
}

What upsets me is that whenever the guard of the if statement throws a
DataStoreException, the setRollbackOnly() method is called but the
timer does not get rescheduled: querying the PUBLIC.TIMERS table of
the JBoss Hypersonic internal DB, I can see no timer is scheduled
anymore. This does not sound appropriate to me due to what the JEE 5
spec states:

"If the timer is a single-action timer, the container removes the
timer after the timeout callback method
has been successfully invoked (e.g., when the transaction that has
been started for the invocation of the
timeout callback method commits)." (JSR 220 - EJB Core Contracts and
Requirements v 3.0 Final Release - Section 18.2.2)

I've temporarily solved the problem creating a repetitive-timer and
canceling it if and only if the timeout method succeeds, but I feel
like the right approach was the former one.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Francesco Russo