[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - JBoss slow after long uptime

couzteau do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 28 14:52:07 EDT 2008

Hi,
I need help analysing a problem with my JBoss deployment.

Generally the environment is stable. The problem has occurred 5 times since March and the web server handles about 250,000 - 500,000 requests per day.

Problem:
Sometimes the JVM suddenly gets incredibly slow. When that occurs I see that the CPU load never drops below 100% (1 CPU burning at top load). The memory consumption is higher than it should be according to the JVM setting (-Xmx2048m).

I'm guessing that a garbage collector thread crashed.

How can I analyse what is going wrong?

config:
* java version "1.6.0_04"
    * Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_04-b12)
    * Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode)

* jboss-4.2.2.GA runs using 2GBRAM
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 4)
* hardware: 16GB Ram, 4 dual core CPUs

* There is a mysql db running

Thank you very much.

jacques