[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - Can I Change the Default URL Base in JBoss?

jim.tootell do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Dec 3 18:30:05 EST 2008

I have a question that is half practical (to me) and half academic and days of Googling and creeping through config files hasn't provided any answer.  Is it possible to change the default context base URL of an instance of JBoss?  In the documentation I've looked at, "base URL" seems to mean JBOSS_HOME but that's not the base URL I'm talking about so let me explain a little what I would like to achieve.

As with most web containers, a default installation of JBoss (AS/EAP/ESB) assumes it "lives" at '[hostname][:port]/' for the base for its relative URLs.

If I want the: | I point my browser to:
JBoss Welcome Page | http://localhost:8080/
JMX Console | http://localhost:8080/jmx-console/
Web Console | http://localhost:8080/web-console/

If I install "appFoo" and "appBar" and don't specify a custom context, JBoss just appends the WAR names to the base URL:
appFoo | http://localhost:8080/appFoo/
appBar | http://localhost:8080/appBar/

So far, so good; pretty common behavior.  But can I configure JBoss to assume that it "lives" somewhere downstream of '[hostname][:port]/', for example '[hostname][:port]/jboss/as/' such that I could get:

JBoss Welcome Page | http://localhost:8080/jboss/as/
JMX Console | http://localhost:8080/jboss/as/jmx-console/
Web Console | http://localhost:8080/jboss/as/web-console/
appFoo | http://localhost:8080/jboss/as/appFoo/
appBar | http://localhost:8080/jboss/as/appBar/

without having to manually modify the <context-root/> element in every jboss-web.xml ?  I want the default JBoss web apps and behavior when a new app is added, I just don't want the URL to start at '/'.  If you guessed I'm messing around with Apache and mod_jk, you're right and yes, I already know this isn't the most practical approach.  Like I said, half practical/half academic.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4194182#4194182

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4194182