[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: JBM Messages stuck in Cluster Environment

timfox do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Dec 18 05:55:26 EST 2008

"s.gasse" wrote : Hi,

  | thanks for the reply. The problem is somehow solved now, since our system uses message selectors and we found out, that this is actually not supported by a clustered JBM implementation.

Message selectors only work on the *local" destination.

This has been discussed many times over the years, but in general multiple message selectors on queues is considered an anti-pattern?

Why? Because you need to scan the entire queue to see if one matches every time you deliver a message. ==> slow!

On a cluster that's compounded even further. You'd have to scan every message on every server to see if one matches. ==> Horrible performance.

BTW this is not JBM specific. You'll find the same issues with pretty much any messaging system.

If you're effectively using selectors to "select" messages from a "table", then you're basically using the messaging system like a database, and that's not what messaging systems are for.

If you wish that table then you're basically expecting the messaging system to behave like a clustered database, which is not what it is designed to do!

Perhaps something like Oracle RAC would be a better fit.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4197317#4197317

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4197317