[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: NPE when logging inside a property getter

cyberanto do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 1 15:48:49 EST 2008

hmm, I had transferred a couple of DAOs from another project which had been using commons logging.

After replacing all my commons logging imports  with seam.log.Log, all hell is breaking loose ...

e.g.

import org.jboss.seam.annotations.Logger;
import org.jboss.seam.log.Log;

@Name("applicationCache")
@Scope(APPLICATION)
public class SwcmApplicationCache implements Serializable {

	@Logger private Log log;

        CategoryDAO categoryDao = new CategoryDAO();

        public String refreshCategories() {
		String outcome = ActionOutcomes.SUCCESS;

		try {
			categories.clear();
			categories.addAll(categoryDao.getAllCategories());
			staleCategory = false;
		} catch (ServerException e) {
			e.printStackTrace();
			outcome = ActionOutcomes.FAILURE;
		}

		log.info("updating application cache categories outcome: "+outcome);
		return outcome;
     }

}

@Name("categoryDao")
public class CategoryDAO extends AbstractDAO {

	@Logger private Log log;

	public ArrayList getAllCategories() throws ServerException {

     System.out.println("Logger is: "+log);
     log.info("#0 categories returned ...", categories.size());
		return categories;
	}
}

bombs on Line 55 - the log.info() in the CategoryDAO ... (categories is NOT null) ...

14:39:56,171 INFO  [STDOUT] Logger is: null

	at com.jostens.swcm.sql.CategoryDAO.getAllCategories(CategoryDAO.java:55)
	at com.jostens.swcm.application.SwcmApplicationCache.refreshCategories(SwcmApplicationCache.java:68)

Unless someone can tell me what I am doing wrong, I may have to replace all my logging with System.out.print()'s ...

I am using JBOSS Developer Studio and set up my project using its ejb wizard. The SEAM Logger works fine in some other classes ...

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4125667#4125667

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4125667