[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Seam Exceptions during load testing

gayatri.ramamurthi do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Feb 4 08:25:44 EST 2008

We think we have a solution. But not sure why exactly it works. We are still using Seam 1.2.1GA.

A litle background. Our architecture is a typicaly n-tier one (why we adopted this is model? See here http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4058248).

JSF(Facelets)--uses FORM objects--Action class--uses DTO--Service layer--uses Domain objects to persist.

We use Seam security for both authentication and authorization. Usually we have the rules in security.drl and
@Restrict at method level at the service layer.

However we did have @Restrict("#{identity.loggedIn}") at the FORM Class level to ensure that the user is re-directed
to the login page when the conversation timesout.

After adding a few more debug stmts to Identity and SecurityInterceptor class (where the NullPointerException  occurs) what
we noticed was, when the NullPointerException occurs the expression that is being evaluated is "identity.loggedIn" and
the interceptor target was always a FORM object.

On a hunch we removed "@Restrict("#{identity.loggedIn}")" from the FORM and added "required-login=true" in pages.xml
(which should have been done in the first place).

Now when we re ran our concurrency test, the exception went away. So the question is ...
- How does "@Restrict("#{identity.loggedIn}")" at a Class level in a FORM object cause the NPE when there are concurrent users?
- Why does this not occur for a single user?

We would love to dig into the Seam code and find answers. Unfortunately we have very limited time on our hands. So I
was wondering if there is anybody out there who is familiar with this particular Seam code and can shed some light
on this behaviour.

Thanks.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4126145#4126145

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4126145