[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - When to use @PersistenceContext vrs @In EntityManager (SMPC)

reind do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Feb 6 16:54:12 EST 2008

I've been experiencing some problems since switching to seam 2 with anonymous wrote : org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: could not initialize proxy - no Session

Is my understanding correct:

One should use a SMPC in Seam components that are *not* session beans.

@In EntityManager entityManager

For stateful session beans (that may or may not be seam components) one should use:

@PersistenceContext(type=EXTENDED)
EntityManager entityManager

For stateless session beans (that may or may not be seam components) one should use:

@PersistenceContext
EntityManager entityManager

The problem I'm experiencing is that I have a SFSB using an entityManager annotated with @PersistenceContext(type=EXTENDED). Some operations on entities produce the LazyInitializationException. If I switch to a Conversation Scoped Seam component, and start a long running conversation, then these exceptions go away.

This class is just meant to be a SFSB (Session Scope) though, not Conversation scoped. Am I wrong in thinking that the PersistenceContext(type=EXTENDED) should stay around as long as the bean is alive, and thus not produce LIEs?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4127190#4127190

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4127190