[jboss-user] [JBossWS] - Specifying the server's URL in the client?

EricJava do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Feb 11 00:35:49 EST 2008

Simple question: What's the right way to set the server's URL from within the client?  The reason I ask is because I'll be distributing a client.  The user will be able to choose which server to connect to.  Other people will run servers; I don't even know what the servers will be.

Unfortunately it looks like the server URL is hard-coded in the WSDL file.  Fine, I could specify the WSDL file URL and have the client fetch it every time.  But the docs say this is a bad idea:

http://jbws.dyndns.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=JBossWS_JAX-WS_Tools

anonymous wrote : Note

  | It's not recommended to refer to a remote WSDL URL in a production application. This causes network I/O every time you instantiate the Service Object. Instead, use the tool on a saved local copy, or use the URL version of the constructor to provide a new WSDL location.

So what do I do?  Please don't tell me that Sun created a client-server network protocol where the server URL must be hard-coded in the client?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4128238#4128238

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4128238