[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Message redistribution

martin.wickus do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 15 10:28:41 EST 2008

We are running JBoss EAP 4.3 which comes as standard with JBoss Messaging 1.4.0.SP3.

Two nodes are running in clustered configuration.

Sending messages from nodes to distributed/clustered destination.

External consumer (not in cluster or even in JBoss) consuming from distributed queue. Connection was obtained via ClusteredConnectionFactory.

Problem: Only consuming messages from partial queue of node connected to.

Elaboration:
Each of the nodes send messages to the distributed queue. The messages obviously go into their respective partial queues.

The external consumer will get a connection to one of the nodes (sticky once created) and hence can receive messages only from the partial queue on the node it is connected to. In the meantime, my messages are bundling up on the other partial queue. If I kill my receiver connection, the ClusteredConnectionFactory is smart enough to dish out a connection to the node with the backlog of messages. However, that means messages will now start backlogging on the other node.

After reading Tim Fox’s explanation of the design behind JBM clustering, I understood the Intelligent Balancer would redistribute messages from one partial queue to another based on real-time statistics. I am not seeing this behaviour however, thus perhaps there are additional configuration changes I need to carry out.

PS. JBoss Messaging User Guide doesn’t discuss the Intelligent Balancer or Message Redistribution.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4129681#4129681

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4129681