[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - Re: Accessing EJB3s through a firewall

magnus.ahlander do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jan 11 02:22:06 EST 2008

Thanks for your advice.

Actually I have a working configuration, but with the inconvenience of having to configure remote bindings in the jboss.xml file of my EAR for all beans I want to remotely access:

<session>
  |     <ejb-name>TestBean</ejb-name>
  |     <remote-binding>
  |         <client-bind-url>socket://<external_host_name>:3873</client-bind-url>
  |     </remote-binding>
  | </session>

This is inconvenient because developers don't necessarily know where the EAR is going to be deployed at build time. The application deployer is therefore forced to make configurations within the EAR before deploy.

I wonder if setting -Djava.rmi.server.useLocalHostname=true has any effect if having set -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=<external_host_name>? Seems like no according to

http://manuales.gfc.edu.co/java/manual/guide/rmi/faq.html#nethostname

My configuration:

* JBossAS 4.2.1 GA
* Using -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=<external_host_name> when starting JBossAS
* Using -b 0.0.0.0 when starting JBossAS
* Entry <internal_ip> <external_host_name> in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
* Remote binding in jboss.xml for all beans remotely accessed <remote-binding>
  |         <client-bind-url>socket://<external_host_name>:3873</client-bind-url>
  | </remote-binding>

Regards,
Magnus

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4118922#4118922