[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - transactions all I try seems to fail

dreuzel do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 15 09:01:07 EST 2008

I'm trying to follow advise  and running  nowhere
trying to set  up a  manual JTA transaction
All advice from the  forums seems not to work or to fail (I probably attack it from the wrong angle )
I define  JTA  eplicitely  in  the  persistence.xml

  |   <persistence-unit name="httpscan" transaction-type="JTA">
  |       <provider>org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence</provider>
  |     <!--  <jta-data-source>java:/httpscanDatasource</jta-data-source>   -->
  |       <jta-data-source>java:/DevelopmentDS</jta-data-source>
  |         <property name="hibernate.cache.provider_class" value="org.hibernate.cache.HashtableCacheProvider"/>
  |           <property name="hibernate.jdbc.batch_size" value="20"/>
  |
  |          <property name="hibernate.transaction.manager_lookup_class" value="org.hibernate.transaction.JBossTransactionManagerLookup"/>
  |          <!-- use a file system based index -->

from the  manual :
You could manage your transactions manually using the JTA UserTransaction (you could even implement your own declarative transaction management in a Seam interceptor). But most applications will use Seam managed transactions...

but  all I do seems to  fail.

  |    <core:init debug="@debug@" jndi-pattern="@jndiPattern@"  transaction-management-enabled="false" />
  |                   conversation-timeout="12000000"    -->
  |    <core:manager concurrent-request-timeout="5000000"
  |                  conversation-timeout="200000000"
  |                  conversation-id-parameter="cid"/>
  |
  |    <persistence:managed-persistence-context name="entityManager"

where  and how  do I get  the  Transaction Context  ????

  |      try{
  |            iniCtx= new InitialContext();
  |            tx=(UserTransaction) iniCtx.lookup("java:comp/UserTransaction");
  |        } catch (Exception er )
  |        {errcod=er;
  |           String errmsg=er.getClass().getSimpleName() +" err: "+ er.getMessage();
  |           log.error(env+" starting transaction failed "+ errmsg);
  |        }

Does not  work  since  the  Class Cast  Fails  and probaly
i can not  correctly  set  java:comp/UserTransaction....

trying to use  Seam fails  as well

  |    	                  tx=Transaction.instance();
  |                           if (tx.getStatus()== Status.STATUS_ACTIVE) tx.commit();//commit  a  first transaction
  |                          } catch (Exception er )
  |                            {errcod=er;
  |                            	String errmsg=er.getClass().getSimpleName() +" err: "+ er.getMessage();
  |                            	log.error(env+" starting transaction failed "+ errmsg);
  |                            }

does  not  allow the  transaction  to begin

  Tx.begin()    Unupported error

I tried  JPA  but afer  1000 or so operations  it fails  on begin as  well

can someone

pass  me  some  example  code

a)   the  Impors used  to ensure  I've the  right TRANSACTION definitions

b)   get  the  transaction context
c)   the related  tx.begin()
d)  em.flush()
e)  tx.comit()