[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - using JPA vs. Hibernate with SEAM apps

asookazian do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Jan 21 13:48:39 EST 2008

according to EJB3 in Action by Debu et al, "JPA is now the standard API to build the persistence tier for applications." - pg. 533

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using Hibernate (e.g. Session interface) vs. JPA (e.g. EntityManager interface) knowing that JPA is a sub-set of Hibernate API?  I'm assuming you get more functionality with Hibernate API.

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/api/org/hibernate/Session.html
http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/api/javax/persistence/EntityManager.html

We are currently using JPA with Hibernate as the persistence provider (vs. Toplink).  This is different from using Hibernate API's exclusively with no EntityManager references, etc.

persistence.xml snippet:

  |    <persistence-unit name="boIcomsSecurityAudit">
  |       <provider>org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence</provider>
  |       <jta-data-source>java:/boIcomsSecurityAuditDatasource</jta-data-source>
  |       <properties>
  |          <property name="jboss.entity.manager.factory.jndi.name" value="java:/securityAuditBoIcomsEntityManagerFactory"/>
  |       </properties>
  |    </persistence-unit>

What is the official JBoss Seam recommendation for Seam apps?  Should we use Hibernate API directly or JPA?  I have a feeling it's one of the "it depends" answers.  Most of the examples I've seen in the Seam books use the EntityManager interface for JPA.  thx.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4121926#4121926

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4121926