[jboss-user] Seam JNDI: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: mtgInventory not bound

Bram Patelski bram.patelski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 06:40:58 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to deploy an ear on JBoss 4.2.2.GA using Seam 2.0.0.GA.
Deployment is fine, no errors and I can see my EJB component loaded like
this:
12:27:50,101 INFO  [Component] Component: cardsAction, scope: STATELESS,
type: STATELESS_SESSION_BEAN, class:
com.patelski.magic.inventory.action.CardActionImpl, JNDI:
mtgInventory/CardActionImpl/local

But when I try to load a page that uses this component, I get this:
12:28:10,928 WARN  [lifecycle] executePhase(RENDER_RESPONSE 6,
com.sun.faces.context.FacesContextImpl at d14192) threw exception
org.jboss.seam.InstantiationException: *Could not instantiate Seam
component: cardsAction*
        at org.jboss.seam.Component.newInstance(Component.java:1962)
Caused by: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: *mtgInventory not bound*
        at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.getBinding(NamingServer.java:529)
12:28:11,255 ERROR [ExceptionFilter] handling uncaught exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Could not instantiate Seam component:
cardsAction
        at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:256)
etc.

Settings I use here are:
In components.xml:
<core:init jndi-pattern="mtgInventory/#{ejbName}/local" />

I guess this has something to do with my JNDI-setting, but I don't know
what.
I've tried several things, but the Seam tutorial settings won't even deploy:
http://docs.jboss.org/seam/1.2.1.GA/reference/en/html/tutorial.html

 <core:init jndi-pattern="@jndiPattern@"/>

This gives:
12:37:07,476 INFO  [Initialization] reading /WEB-INF/components.xml
12:37:07,600 ERROR [[/mtg-inventory]] Exception sending context initialized
event to listener instance of class org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamListener
java.lang.RuntimeException: error while reading /WEB-INF/components.xml
        at org.jboss.seam.init.Initialization.initComponentsFromXmlDocument(
Initialization.java:136)
        at
org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread.run(
AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:225)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Exception setting property
org.jboss.seam.core.init.jndiPattern on component org.jboss.seam.core.init.
*Expression @jndiPattern@ evaluated to null.*
        at org.jboss.seam.init.Initialization.installComponentFromXmlElement
(Initialization.java:407)
        at
org.jboss.seam.init.Initialization.installComponentsFromXmlElements(
Initialization.java:257)
        at org.jboss.seam.init.Initialization.initComponentsFromXmlDocument(
Initialization.java:132)
        ... 92 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: null value
        at org.jboss.seam.util.Conversions$FlatPropertyValue.<init>(
Conversions.java:275)
        at org.jboss.seam.init.Initialization.getPropertyValue(
Initialization.java:462)
        at org.jboss.seam.init.Initialization.installComponentFromXmlElement
(Initialization.java:402)