[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: What exactly is the point of JBoss portal

je.a.le do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Jun 2 04:13:00 EDT 2008

I'm not an expert :-) but i can answer you from the point of view of someone in your situation,  months back.

1) it works ! ... not always the same with liferay or opencms
I think everybody will agree with me : j2ee is entreprise, big projects oriented.  So there're few opensource cms. for me jbossportal is the one with the few basic composant, but the most versative. Hard to get with, nice to to code with.
2) portal (site) are made of pages. pages (kind of container/layout) are made of portlets. you add as much portlet you want on a page, according to a specific layout (easy to create new)
portlet are king of mini site. You can customize them.
3) --> 2)
4) this is entreprise. for good or paranoia reasons, no.
5)yes and no. some as opensource, others not (war). franky none fill my request so i use them as sample/backbone for my own. You probably have to code most of them.
6) you need jboss, so a dedicated server, and at least 1Gb, 2Gb memory. If you (your client) can afford 400/600€ a year rental, dish php and jump on j2ee

I think It's all matter of request : a simple "blog", use a joomla or whatever. Need a strong versative tool, use j2ee. What don't exist you probably can make it. But that mean you/your team can code in java.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4154942#4154942

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4154942