[jboss-user] [Messaging, JMS & JBossMQ] - Issue when deploying JBossMQ behind a firewall

michel.d do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jun 19 05:13:11 EDT 2008

Hello,
After a long research about issues on JBossMQ when deploying the JBoss server behind a firewall, i decided to write a new topic, as my problem seems to be quite special.
We are using JBoss 4.0.5 GA in our application, and we use the JBossMQ service.
Our server is deployed on a computer behind a NAT router, but all ports redirections are set to allow external connections to our JBoss server.

We had of course no problem when running the soft on local network, but we encountered issues as soon as we tried to connect through the router.

We solved our firsts issues :
1. When connecting through the router via RMI, you have to specify the RMI server public address, by launching JBoss with the -Djava.rmi.server.hostname="you public address" argument.
2. As you want connections from anywhere to be possible on JBoss, add the -Djboss.bind.address=0.0.0.0 argument.
3. After that, we were able to obtain RMI connection, but it was impossible to connect to JMS, we had the following exception :
org.jboss.mq.SpyJMSException: Cannot authenticate user; - nested throwable: (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
We found that the JMS connection was provided by the UIL2 InvokationLayer, and that the ConnectAddress property in the corresponding MBean had to be set to the server's public address :
(MBean located in deploy/jms/uil2-service.xml)
<attribute name="ConnectAdress">you.public.address</attribute>

After this solution, I thought we could go on, as everything was working when testing on the local D-Link router.
But we tried then to test the application on Internet and we deployed it behind our NetGear router then tried to access the server from elsewhere : the JMS exception appears again. This problem is certainly caused by somethnig in the router configuration, but we didn't found what it could be, as we have the same ports redirections, and the same configuration on our JBoss server.

This problem is very annoying, so if anybody had a suggestion, he'd be welcome, thanks by advance.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4159203#4159203

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4159203