[jboss-user] [JBoss AOP] - JBoss AOP thinking

avihaimar do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 13 14:58:31 EDT 2008

AOP in our application:
We work with jboss4.2 and ejb3 (JPA).
We use in AOP in order to intercept model methods (again the model is hibernate entities), only in the server side we need to be notify when a setter on model call has been called. In order to do that we define pointcuts on our model classes (around 60 classes).

>From the following reasons we use in load time weaving (and not compile time):
1. JBoss 1.5 has no maven plugin.
2. The pointcuts belong to the model project (which is lower than the server project) and the interceptors are located on the server project.

The problem was - startup time!!!!!!
When using loadtime the jboss startup time was around 6 minutes against 2 minutes without load time weaving.
We follow the performance section and change the – prune,exclude,optimized (I didn’t understand “bootclasspath Vs. JDK5 –javaagent” recommendation)
6 minutes it’s a lot of time!!!! Especially when you work in rapid development.

Other issues that I encounter are:
1. Jboss aop and hibernate – not always work together.
2. Debugging.
3. Hot swap – when I work in remote debugging I use to change my code during the debug, but in case that this class was weaved by JBoss aop I get en exception that the class cannot swapped.

>From those reasons I think to give up and to use in “source weaving” , means that when I generate my model sources (I have a tool that does this ) I will plant in the setter a call to a proxy that will be implement only in the server.

I love JBoss-aop . I think that it more convenient from Aspectj. I choose to use it in our application, and I will appreciate if you can give your own point of view.

Thank you

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4136434#4136434

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4136434