[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - Re: Question on @Service annotated beans

JonathanDFields do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 15 14:51:02 EDT 2008

Thank you for the info.

I have numerous requirements for "daemon" processing. Watching a directory for files, copying the files, making SOAP calls to a web service, querying/updating the database. Walking a file system and creating a Lucene index. Etc. This processing needs to occur on a regular basis.

The way that I am doing this today is with regular MBeans, packaged in a SAR in an overall EAR application, which manage  threads using java.util.concurrent.Executor framework. The threads are started via the JMX lifecycle methods (start/stop). Works great.

Unfortunately,  JBoss Tools for Eclipse does not support SARs as a module in an EAR. Therefore, I'm interested in using @Service beans as a replacement for my plain MBeans for my daemon processing, as I move to JBoss Tools for development.

Portability is not a requirement. This only needs to work on JBoss.

Would it be OK to do mostly the same with @Service beans as I'm currently doing with plain MBeans? Threads are created/destroyed in the JMX lifecycle methods, as before. The threads would access resources as required to do their work.  Only, if they needed to access DB resources, they would call an EJB - perhaps the @Service bean itself.  The threads in essence would be the "driver" for the daemon processing, accessing all non-EJB resources directly, and delegating DB access to EJBs.

Or, is there a better way to handle this kind of daemon processing?

Thanks,
Jon

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4151185#4151185

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4151185