[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Placing portlet_instances.xml in a central place ...

PeterJ do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed May 21 10:56:08 EDT 2008

Actually, the problem is really with the class scoping required for war file.

Example. X.war contains portletX and its portlet-instance.xml file declares one instance with the *-object.xml placing that instance somewhere.

Now in Y.war, you would like to create another instance of portletX. But you cannot because Y.war does not have visibility to portletX. You could cheat - copy the class files for portletX into Y.war and then create an instance in the portlet-instances.xml file in Y.war.

So the issue is with creating the instances. I think that once the instances are created, any *-object.xml file in any war file can use those instances to place them on a portal page (its been a while since I did this, I think in 2.4.x, so I am not sure if this still works, I'd give it a try just to verify it but don't have the time today).

So if I understand your use case correctly, you have several jbossas instances with jboss portal deployed, and custom portlat (maybe the same, maybe different) defined in each one. Then at some later time you decide to add/modify a page by adding or dropping portlet objects. And you need to do this for some/all of the portals.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4152376#4152376

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4152376