[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: JBoss Portal x Liferay Portal x eXo Portal

thomas.heute@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon May 26 15:20:27 EDT 2008

JBoss Portal doesn't provide applications (such as the blog you mention, blog is a totally independent project of jboss.org btw, you could host your own project on it if you wanted, such as Kosmos portlets which are not developped by JBoss employees).
JBoss Portal provides a framework to build *your* portal. (JBoss is still a middleware division)

We don't expect you to use the default portal that exists on the demo, it's just a way to "show" something. So if you want to provide a better out of the box portal, feel free to contribute but that's not the value we create so little time is spent on this (I know it has an impact for people evaluating our product by just looking at the demo box)

We offer services for portals, such as identity, sso, wsrp, portlet container, theme and layout, user management (talking about API here) and personalization... We also ensure that it scales and work fine in a portal environment.

Our users/customers build their own portlets on top of this framework with technologies such as JSF, Struts, Seam... They usually have strong requirements and will not live with any out of the box forum or blog portlet, they want *their* features, *their* layout...

So since we don't provide applications, we are probably less visible in some area. For large scale developments, we are very visible and competitive but those customers are unfortunately to shy on becoming references :(

That said, we partnered with Alfresco (ECM) and Pentaho, for the application side, more partnership of this kind could happen.

I hope that i was clear enough.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4153439#4153439

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4153439