[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Re: jBPM Java implementation; what does the ExecutionContext

hazica do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed May 28 03:15:54 EDT 2008

Thank you for your quick reply, Ed.

Even though "at least token-specific" doesn't rule out "at most ProcessInstance-specific", I tend to concur with you on this one. What you are saying makes sense, especially when one analyses the fields of ExecutionContext: Token, Event, Action, Node, Transition, etc. Also, one of the two constructors only takes a Token as a parameter.

That being said, I think I can now manage to ask a more concrete question:

In one of the tutorials, the one with the task assignment, the task node is defined like this:
[...]
  | <task-node name='t'>
  |      <task name='change nappy'>
  |            <assignment class='[...].NappyAssignmentHandler'>
  |      </task>
  | </task-node>
  | [...]

Then, the token starts moving through the workflow, arrives at our task node t. Then, a TaskInstance object is created and... _then something magic happens_ ... and the actor we specified in the implementation of NappyAssignmentHandler appears to be a field of our TaskInstance (actorId), even though the only thing we did in NappyAssignmentHandler was this:

public void assign(Assignable assignable, ExecutionContext executionContext){
  | assignable.setActorId("papa");
  | }

I don't see any direct assignment of "papa" to TaskInstance.actorId happening anywhere. Nor do I see any indirect, multi-stage version of this assignment. And anyway, how the hell did the executionContext or the assignable Parameters get their values? Was this done by the XML Parser?  Is the ExecutionContext relevant for the values of TaskInstance fields? Or am I on the completely wrong path here?

I'd really appreciate it if someone would explain to me how these "magic tricks" are performed.

Thanks for reading!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4153846#4153846

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4153846