[jboss-user] Confusion between jbossweb.deployer and jbossweb.sar

Bocalinda bocalinda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 13:00:11 EST 2008

Hi Folks,

This is my first message to the mailing list.
I'm currently trying to get started with JBoss.
I already have some basic experience with Tomcat and JBoss, but I wanted to
take this knowledge to a higher lever.

Therefor, I started reading the new book JBoss In Action, which focuses on
JBoss 5.

I'm already a few chapters far in the book, but there are some things that
aren't clear to me that I wish to have cleared up before continuing to read.

One of them is the existence of

deployers/jbossweb.deployer
and
deploy/jbossweb.sar

In the book it's not very well described what the exact tasks of both are. I
mean, I know it's the Tomcat web container, but what I don't know is what is
configured where, and why.

I see for example the following files:

deployers/jbossweb.deployer/META-INF/war-deployers-jboss-beans.xml
What is this used for?

deployers/jbossweb.deployers/web.xml
> It seems this file is doing more than just being a deployment descriptor.

On the other hand, you also got:
deploy/jbossweb.sar/server.xml

I'm just very confused about all those different files that are related to
the jboss web container, which are located in all those distinct places.

Another question, what are the equal files in JBoss 4?

I'm sorry if my questions are vague, but I'm pretty confused about this.

If you would just try to give me an explanation or give me a link to a good
document, I would kindly appreciate it.